Philippines: I just received a message from the people of Cagayan de Oro and Iligan that it would be better to donate food, especially water, rather than clothes. Water is scarce in these affected areas and people are fighting over it. I hope those who are about to donate will look into this. Thank you so much and Merry Christmas! :-)
Kris Aquino: “Ngayon, ‘yun namang party ay matagal nang naka-schedule ‘yon. Siyempre, may mga masasamang nangyayari at may malungkot but then, life should go on. Hindi naman pwedeng huminto na lang ang buhay at magmukmok na lang tayo." (Now that party was planned and scheduled a long time ago. Of course there are bad things that happen and it’s sad and unfortuante but then, life should go on. We shouldn’t just stop everything we do in our lives and grieve all the time)
Now Kris, how about those people that have been on your side from the start. You guys go way back. Starting with your dad, then your mom and they voted for your brother as president because they thought he was our source of redemption (obviously not). When your parents passed away, millions of filipino mourned with you and your family and now you can’t give the same care and sympathy back to the people who have never left your family’s side just because of a stupid party?
When there is loss, we grieve. That is normal. That is human. I don’t know what you are but we are NOT like you, thank goodness. We now know that we can take care of ourselves. Your brother is just an accessory and a sick excuse just to have someone in the country as president. (Story here)
We’re doing this with or without an incompetent president. So far, we’re doing well without him. So why stop? Don’t mind all the drama he and his sisters are causing. Right now, just focus on your brothers and sisters who need your help. This is a good start.
Philippines: Cebu City Hall. Press Conference with Mayor Rama
"Abag para CDO and Iligan" will start tomorrow. this is in cooperation with McDonalds.
A JCI collections site for donations will be set up @ Mcdonalds Jones branch tomorrow.
On Friday Dec.23 will be the first batch of collection, all JCI members are encouraged to give out your donations in cash or in kind at our JCI booth which will be at Mcdonalds, Jones branch (parking area).
All the collected goods will be gathered and a hand over ceremony to Cebu City will take place with Mayor Rama.
Also on Dec.30, 2011, (friday), we are working on joint project “A concert for a cause. This is also in cooperation with Cebu City Office and McDonalds. Updates will be posted.
MANILA, Philippines – The death toll from tropical storm “Sendong” (international name: Washi) has breached the 600 mark, government data showed.
As of 12 noon Monday, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said it has counted a total of 632 fatalities, mostly from the hardest hit areas of Cagayan de Oro City and Iligan City in Region 10.
In Region 10 alone, the NDRRMC has recorded a total of 580 fatalities. Officials said 84 bodies have yet to be identified and claimed by their relatives.
The NDRRMC said search and retrieval operations continue to find more bodies after the floods.
The agency noted that the number of missing persons went down to 82 from 260.
In Cagayan de Oro City, 30,403 individuals are now staying in 19 evacuation centers, while in Iligan, there are 9,640 individuals in 15 centers.
The NDRRMC and several local governments are eyeing mass burials for the bodies of flood victims, saying the stench of decomposing bodies could affect the residents’ health.
The local government of Cagayan de Oro, meanwhile, has distributed materials such as plywood and nails to residents with deceased relatives so they can construct makeshift coffins.
Funeral parlors were not able to accommodate the massive number of bodies being brought to them. Even cadaver bags have run out, forcing some residents to cover the bodies with sacks and cloth.
Health Secretary Enrique Ona suggested that the bodies be placed inside freezers. He also said any mass burial must be conducted properly so the bodies will be easily identified in the future.
Rescue and relief operations were also hampered as several roads and bridges remain impassable.
In Negros Oriental, Amlan and Tanjay bridges, and a steel bridge in Valencia remain impassable to any type of vehicle.
Meanwhile, in Cagayan de Oro City, a clearing operation is underway for the Mangalay Bridge. The Mandulog Bridge I, on the other hand, has remained impassable.
Landslides have also rendered several roads in Apayao impassable.
President Aquino is set to visit Cagayan de Oro and Iligan City on Tuesday, December 20.
Aquino earlier ordered a review of the government’s disaster response amid the high number of casualties from the tropical storm.
The President wants a more accurate weather tracking system so areas in the path of a typhoon will have enough time to prepare.
"We should come with a system that has a stronger warning system in the local government units to mitigate disaster," Aquino had said. - with dzMM
MANILA, Philippines - The government will be releasing P1.29 billion in calamity-response funds to assist victims of Tropical Storm “Sendong,” Budget Secretary Florencio Abad said on Monday.
"With the Calamity Fund, the governmnent is generously equipped to mobilize and support disaster relief efforts in Cagayan de Oro, Iligan, and other Sendong-affected areas. We are ensuring the quick release of these funds so that victims will receive swift and proper assistance," Abad said, in a statement.
Over the weekend, "Sendong" swept through southern Philippines, bringing heavy rains that caused flashfloods that caught many residents living near rivers by surprise. As of 6 a.m. Monday, the NDRRMC said death toll from the typhoon has risen to 533, with 309 still missing. A separate report from the Philippine National Red Cross said the death toll from the typhoon is already at 652.
The Budget Secretary said that the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH), Department of National Defense (DND), and the Department of Education (DepEd) also have their own Quick Response Funds (QRFs). These funds guarantee direct and immediate support to areas affected by Sendong. Abad did not specify how much the departments’ QRFs were.
"We also have the Local Government Support Fund shares of all affected local government units, for whom President Benigno S. Aquino III will provide Special Allotment Release Orders and Notices of Allocation tomorrow (Tuesday)," Abad said.
If there is a need for additional disaster-response funds, Abad said there are sufficient reserves to augment the Calamity Fund and QRFs to speed up relief operations in affected areas.
In the 2012 budget, some P7.5 billion is allocated for to the Calamity Fund, a 50% increase from this year’s budget.
I would just like everyone to know that it is NOT just Iligan and CDO that’re affected by Typhoon Sendong. Reported body count: Bukidnon - 47, Negros Oriental - 21, Compostela Valley - 5, Zamboanga del Norte - 3 and Surigao del Sur - 1); and hundreds are still missing. I hope you guys don’t forget your brothers and sisters in those areas.
If you have anything you would like to give out, extra clothes, or if you would like to simply share this Christmas. We can pick it up from your house or you can have drop it in our locations so we will gather it and have them sent immediately. Let’s GIVE BACK CEBU!
For more information Please contact (look for): Andrew Jas/PJ -3163758 Jen - 09235577502 Car - 09173039600